How to Spot an Overloaded Electric Circuit?

Electricity is one of those things people often take for granted. As long as the lights work fine, the refrigerator stays on, and the PC runs smoothly, you would assume that nothing is wrong with your electrical wiring.

But sometimes, there would be subtle hints of a fault in the electrical circuits around the house. Usually, you wouldn’t notice them, but if you can find any of these warning signs, it’s time to call a residential electrician in Perth.

Warning Signs of an Overloaded Electric Circuit

Most of the time, when the lights are on, they should operate quietly, and they should light up steadily. If there is flickering or a crackling sound, then something could be wrong with the wirings.

Outlet Sparks

If you plug anything into an outlet, there should be no sparks flying. Otherwise, it could indicate a fault in the electrical circuits of your house. Not only that, but these random jolts could even cause a fire.
Related Post: How Often Should an RCD be Tested?

Hot, Charred, or Melted Outlets

When any of your electrical outlets turn brown, it means that there is a lot of heat coming out of them. The temperature could even be so high that it melts the plastic receptacle. There could also be a burning smell around the house. All these are clear signs of electrical overload.

Frequent Circuit Breaker Tripping

Your circuit breakers are designed to ‘trip’, or shut off the power supply if an overload occurs. So if you find that you have to keep resetting a circuit breaker, then you have an overloading issue.
Also read: Why Does My Safety Switch Keep Tripping?

Talk to Coastal Electrics Today

Do you have any doubts about the safety of your home wirings? Leave that to us. The expert electricians at Coastal Electrics can help you ease your worries. Call us today and we’ll keep those shocks away.