What is Test and Tag?
This is an electrical testing procedure to ensure that portable equipment is safe. There are two steps in the test and tag procedure:
- A visual inspection: Here, the tester must check the equipment for any visible signs of damage.
- Using the Portable Appliance Tester: Here, the tester must perform equipment or RCD testing using a portable appliance designed for a pulse test and tag.
This procedure ensures that the people using the appliance can do so safely.
What are the Regulations in WA?
The test and tag regulations in WA are pretty simple.
- Items tested must be tagged: When the test is complete, the item must be labelled in accordance with AS/NZS 3012:2003. The date of the next test must be clearly marked.
- You must test your equipment at regular intervals: The frequency of testing depends on the potential danger. On a construction site, for example, you must check your equipment every six months. In an office environment, the interval between tests increases to five years.
- Not just anyone can perform the tests: The person conducting the tests must be well-versed in the regulations.
Test and Tag FAQs
What if I only have one or two items to be tested?
Call or visit us. We’ll test the item for you.
How Often Should I Test the Equipment?
That depends on the industry. If you’re not sure, give us a call, and we’ll tell you. Periods range from six months to five years.
Does a Residual Current Device Need to Be Tested?
Most definitely. These devices ensure that the amount of energy that goes in matches the output. If there’s a mismatch, the RCD trips the circuit so that the person using the device stays safe. RCDs can wear out and malfunction over time, so we recommend regular tests.
Contact Coastal Electrics Rockingham Today
Do you need your devices checked in accordance with WA regulations? Our experienced residential electricians in Perth are standing by to assist you. We use the best testing equipment to ensure that our results are accurate.
We deliver only the best because our clients deserve nothing less. We offer competitive rates so that business owners never have to choose between safety and the bottom line in this regard.